Sunday, March 1, 2009

"There's no place on Earth I can hide from the wrong I've done..."

I am not entirely sure how this one turned out... Any of those reading it: I need your opinion regarding the final sextet. When I started, all I had were the final two lines, which were in iambic quadrameter, so I decided to do a quint-quad-quad (x2) format for the sextet.  What I need to know is: when you read it aloud to yourself, does it sound good? Or stilted?
EDIT: Based on my judgement, I changed the sextet to petrameter and have therefore changed the poem in this post.

In any case: this is Lenten. I sat down and made myself write it so, by nature, I am somewhat unsatisfied with it. It seems like, thematically, the first quatrain doesn't entirely mesh with the second. But in any case, I may change it later, but here it is.


"... but as I give the order, shed a tear." -3/02/09

Your eyes, like Circe, change a man to beast.
I've stared in, long and deep, and every time
The sacrifice I make may seem the least,
Forgetting: ev'ry compromise is crime.

I heard a voice today from wilderness;
I heard today the voice of locusts talk,
With honey on his tongue bade me redress:
He bade me to the Jordan River walk.

So I must weigh the things that I hold dear.
Although before I'd lose you I'd be dead,
Because of this I know I'll ne'er be free.
I know myself, and this is what I fear:
I'd freely give you John the Baptist's head
If ever you should deign to dance for me.


"... All or what little pleasure exists, seductively sold and uselessly mine."
-L

1 comment:

  1. I think the primary reason the last sextet throws me is because I'm accustomed to your style, and it's not a regular Lucan sonnet.

    ReplyDelete