Wednesday, April 12, 2006

"We've got a dreamer, she's going up in flames. Fire it now and sort it out."

So the other day, I was watching a bunch of movie trailers on apple.com, like I often do. I was actually pretty surprised by how many films there were that had a gay character, not just as the old "wacky friend" motif but as the star character, and even the entire basis for the story. I think that our culture is currently going through its struggle to discover what it thinks about the whole thing, and we're seeing that enacted in our media. While there are semi-serious films dealing with homosexuality, most of the movies that currently feature gay characters/premises are comedies. Now, most comedic premises are pretty edgy. They have been ever since the Romans. We take things that we are unsure of, afraid of or angered by and we see if there's another side to it: if we can laugh at it. I think that's what society's doing now, and I think we are all pretty sure which way things are going to go in the end, because that's how they've been going since the 60's.

I believe in the power of God's grace. That's a basic premise of my life, although it's also something that I have to remind myself of daily. I believe in the power of God's mercy to save what look like hopeless situations, and I believe that His love is so great that He desires to save us. At the same time, watching those trailers and realizing just how young our culture is becoming desensitized makes me very nervous about the idea of raising children.

I think that perhaps it's worth noting here that I don't wholeheartedly condemn the concept behind the buzzword "desensitized". I think that a shocked or naive reaction in many situations is not ideal, morally or practically. However, the age at which kids are now getting exposed to things leads not so much to desensitization as such but more to indoctrination. I guess it just seems like it would be so hard sometimes to have a group of little, naive souls that you're trying to lead to mercy and grace in a world as unforgiving and despairing as this one. I guess God will give me the grace to do that when the time arrives, and I think that patience, or perhaps more appropriately "long-suffering", is the most vital virtue to parenthood. It just strikes me sometimes what a big vocation this is...

Hesychia,-
L

P.S. I downloaded a PlayStation emulator today, and spent most of the day downloading Genso Suikoden I in parts... I have yet to see if it works but, if it does: nostalgia, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment