Tuesday, April 18, 2006

"Well there's a frieght-train coming to put your head in check: our love is never coming back..."

So I figured maybe I should write a post-Easter update. Yeah... I finished my Honors paper on Tuesday morning of Holy Week and turned it in during class. I hope to get a good grade on it, seeing as he probably won't do more than skim any of our papers. I then took the next few days off, and left for home on Thursday at 2PM.

It was really interesting to go home. I hadn't been home since Christmas, so I was definitely looking forward to it. Kirsten and I drove straight to Christ the King (Church, not Chapel) to make it in time for Holy Thursday Mass. It was strange because as soon as I got out of the car, I was "back in Ann Arbor" in that way that feels like you've never left. Everything seemed the same as when I had left home in January. Of course, things had definitely changed. I went to Mission Christ on Friday and (perhaps because it was Good Friday and attendance was slightly low) there were a fair number of kids that I didn't even know. It was very interesting seeing how much Mission has changed since John Luton left, as well as how much its spirit has stayed the same. It was like a time-capsule, going to Mission and hearing some of those unspoken assumptions about what the Christian life really is. Those assumptions that I bought into most of the way through High School. I see myself back then, then look at myself now and realize how much my faith has grown from the Mission Christ standard. Mr. Tews, during the Pizza Time, told me that he wants to have a sort of get-together over the summer with the seniors and some of the Mission Christ "alumni". He wants to just get us together and talk about what life in college is like, especially after/compared to Mission. I told him that I'd love to do it, and it sounds pretty exciting.

On Saturday, Reez and I went to Raja Rani's (sp?) for lunch. It was a sorta expensive buffet considering how not-hungry I was, but it was pretty good Indian food (though perhaps not comparable to the stuff we had in Little India). All it all, it was one of those excellent brother-sister times we have. It's going to be pretty cool going to school together again next year. My great-aunts came over on Saturday night along with the Mr. & Mrs. Rykowski (family friends). We had a great dinner then played Taboo (which is a pretty fun game). Our conversation throughout the night was very interesting and, as my father observed afterwards, somewhat centered around death. Definitely the kind of conversation that makes you think a lot...

All in all, it was a good time at home. I got to weigh myself for the first time since January (for those of you who are unfamiliar with my idiosyncrasies, I usually weigh myself at least three times a day when I'm at home). I had dropped from 168lbs to around 158-60lbs. I guess I generally do lose weight at school. I got to see Aaron, Ross, Bobby, Ed, DC, Dave Hotburg and Flat Panagan and spent the wee hours of Easter Morning puff-puff-passing the peace-pipe with them. My mother baked an excellent Sunshine Torte which I unfortunately did not get a picture of for my Facebook "Cakes I Have Eaten" series. On the upside, however, I talked to Beez on the phone and she said that she had copies of my French Braiding pictures, so I can probably put those up once she emails them to me. Also: I bought the latest "Mates of State" album (called "Bring it Back") which thus far seems pretty excellent, though more mellow than "Team Boo" was. I also purchased "The Machinist", and watched it with my family on Easter Night. My mother, who has a history of watching good Hitchcockian thrillers, enjoyed it more than my father or sister. The movie is seriously great though...

The downsides of the trip were: I didn't really have enough time to apply for jobs, so that will have to wait until I get back for the summer. Break was not long enough, and now I have to write my Epistemology paper (which I really don't have enough time to do). Also: I genuinely noticed the lack of Beez's presence, which was pretty sad. At least she is coming home this summer! There was also one other person who I had a morbid (or perhaps no longer so morbid?) desire to see who was out of town.

So now I'm back at Steubenville for three weeks... there are some books sitting in front of me, and I've got to start squeezing a five-pager out of them. I'm not too excited to be back. At least I have something to look forward to: Ms. Fogarty is having a Napoleon Dynamite pizza party tomorrow at 9PM... so I'll try to finish the paper by then. Dr. Harold likes me, and would probably take the paper up to a week late (esp. considering that it's a night class).

Hesychia,
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment