Thursday, August 3, 2006

It's not something I'd recommend, but it is one way to live...

Tomorrow is the last day of the week! I've almost made it! At about 5PM tomorrow, I will be on the road to the Frozen North, and by this time tomorrow I will have arrived at Pinne's house several hours ago. I am really looking forward to it, if you couldn't tell.

So there's this girl (the only girl, actually) at work. Um, I realize what that sentence sounds like the beginning of (there is only one sort of conversation that begins with the words "so there's this girl...") but... no, not at all. Anyways, she's 23 and has two kids, one 2-year-old and one 8-year-old (one of the hi-low drivers' comments: "That is /way/ too young to have an 8-year-old!" to which she said, "I know!"). So that puts the birth of her first child when she was 15 years old. The child's conception likely when she was 14. Wow. A life like that kind of blows my mind. What does it do to someone to be a parent that early? Not that she's /exceptionally/ mature because of it. The children live with their father, who she dated for 11 years (they are broken up now) but never married. He, referred to as "My baby (sic) daddy", is 30 years old now. This places him at the age of 21 at the conception of the first child. That is just... I'm not even going to touch that one. The coupe de grace: the reason for their breakup after 11 years of dating and two children was cited as "That nigga /crazy/!" -- Golly... y'think?!

Inci-dentally (hahaha... that pun will make sense in a second, I promise) this girl (who is fairly cheerful and considerate, actually) spent a couple minutes enthusing about my teeth and how perfect they are, and how much girls like good teeth on a guy. She was also quite impressed to hear that I've never had a cavity. So I guess... yeah. I've never put much thought into my "grill", but hey. A bit of an ego-booster, I guess. Of course this is the girl who spends every break obsessively filing her huge, shiny fingernails in an attempt to remove the dirt from them. So maybe she just has a thing for... heck, I don't even know what similarity to draw between teeth and fingernails! Vestigal self-defense tools, perhaps?

Anyways, it is kind of fun to get to know people who I probably wouldn't hang out with in any other situation. I love seeing where different people come from. Anyways, that's what college jobs are for: to convince you to stay in school!

"But what is simple in the moonlight, by the morning never is..."
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment