Tuesday, August 15, 2006

"Tonight, tonight I'm feelin real good, feelin just about right!"

So, I have a good deal of "last week" things that I could write about. However, I'm pretty tired (I say that /every/ entry) and need to get to bed. So I will probably do a "last week" bullet-point update at some point. For now, dear readers, content yourselves with a brief synopsis of today's mentionable points.

Claire Gilligan had been crossing my mind for some reason the past few days. As usual, being pretty horrible at "getting in touch" with people, I did nothing but think: "Oh, it might be nice to see her in a few days...". However, this afternoon she took a quick break from her frantic packing and we talked for what must have been a few hours. That was probably the highlight of my day. I was glad.

Also, with Ms. Gilligan in mind as I went to fill up my car with gas (it was on empty), I paused to reflect on the fact that she isn't allowed to pump her own gas. This "bringing to mind" of the Gilligan, the actualizing of the superactual reality of knowing Claire, if you will, was further accentuated by the fact that, as I drove up to the station, someone drove off with the hose still in their tank, resulting in it being pulled off of the pump. It detached quite neatly, so I think there was a safety mechanism. That scene from Garden State just sprung to mind though, and seeing as New Jersey is the Garden State, and also seeing as we watched Garden State at Claire's house, Spring Break of this year was brought to mind. Good times. Spring Break had already been mulled over the past day or so due to me having to reface several revelations/convictions that I had over that break. Don't you love it when you're like, "Ah yeah... I was going to work on that, wasn't I?"

Lest this illustrious medium become "The Gilligan Trackers' Digest" (not that that wouldn't be a worthy topic for a very creepy journal), I will mention a few non-Claire related events/thoughts of the day. Directly after I filled up the car, my dad and I went to Dairy Queen and got some ice-cream. I got a small chocolate cone dipped in cherry. I hadn't had that since at /least/ 8th grade, maybe 4th grade. But it was the unvarying standard of my youth. So it was good to relive those childhood days. It still tasted pretty excellent.

Also: I went to 7:30PM Mass today. Happy Feast of the Assumption. I sat next to Aaron, Ed and Bobby, which provided for some hilarious times during the course of the liturgy (e.g. Aaron's voice totally giving out as he stretched for a high note during a song, the very amusing Sign of Peace between Aaron and I). After Mass, Fr. Ed was mass-inducting people into the Brown Scapular. My dad and I had never done it, so (on a semi-whim) we both did. It was something that had been put off for some time. I dunno. We'll see how that whole thing goes. Feels pretty good so far.

Last thing: Aaron, Ed and Bobby and I are probably going to go see "Snakes on a Plane" this Thursday at the midnight showing (this Friday, actually) when it opens. I'm not sure if Ed got the tickets yet, but he was supposed to buy them today. I am quite looking forward to it. I think that my expectations for the movie are accurate (which always makes movies more enjoyable) and it is quite an appropriate cultural event to attend before descending once more to the cultural void of Steubenville.

"Today, today anything goes with me..."
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment