Thursday, March 30, 2006

Move over, Satan, I'm a God-blessed sinner!

So. My brother, Ross Acheson, wrote a post about going (or rather, about not going) to Ghana. I always love talking to Ross, and reading his "LJ" is as close as I get most of the time when I'm at school. Ross has a real passion for simplicity and great insight into the beauty and humility of Christian life. He said something in his post that has been on my mind as well. I started to write a comment but, as is my style, I found that it was getting too long. Since I've started this "LJ" I've begun noticing how verbose I am when I type. Anyways, back to Ross. In this post, he says that:
"Now that I've been in the habit of thinking about the possibility of living abroad, and now that going abroad is no longer a near possibility, I realize that I am beginning to tire of life in America-- complacency, prosperity, satisfaction of outward desires, and television."
I agree with you about America, Ross. At the very least, I tire of the materialism, if not the country itself. It seems so attractive to just go somewhere else and live a simple life, especially at a Franciscan school. Especially during Lent, when one gets to immerse oneself in self-denial and giving up extraneous pleasures to better focus on Christ. I grow tired of living in a culture that exists simply to stay sated and disdains any concept of suffering for the sake of something better. The other day, however, the "quote board" in our dorm said "A man who cannot be holy where he is cannot be holy anywhere." I forget who said it, but it struck me as true. If we find ourselves struggling to keep our focus on God amidst all the noise, often we ask God (or at least wish) to put us in a place where it would be easier to remain focused solely on His glory. These are the times when I find myself wishing I was called to life in a monastery. I hear Joe G. talking about the SSJC (Society of St. John Cantius) and how peaceful his soul feels when he's there. And it's possible that he is called to be there. Many are called to live a life dedicated to the Lord in that way: living a simple life in obedience. The graces in that kind of life seem overwhelming to me, the humility and sacrifice that are the cornerstone of our faith. But I am pretty darn sure that I'm called to the married life. Now, I know that there are many graces found it that life as well, and that it is possible to live a simple married life in a materialistic society. I firmly intend to do so. My point, I guess is that often our response to trials is "God, get me out of here" rather than "God, give me the grace to live here". It strikes me that, rather than praying for a life where I need as little grace as possible to remain holy, I ought to pray for the flood of grace necessary to remain unstained in a sinful world. And that's what I want. I don't want the easy bubble life where my faith is never challenged. I want a life so flooded with grace that even the darkest powers flee. Ross concludes his thought by saying:
"I wonder if it's not time to settle into life here and learn how to be holy where I am now and where I likely will be for much of my life."
That is the very same calling that I've been feeling. It is God's calling not to push our cup away but rather to drink deeply of the Blood of Christ. Peace and love, Ross. You're in my prayers, bro. -L P.S. At the job-fair yesterday, pretty much everyone was there to recruit theology majors, nursing students or education majors. The only people there for psychologists were the Army. Y'know, back when I was going to be a priest, I was going to be a chaplain in the military and serve the soldiers. Perhaps God is calling me to take another look at that plan, as a psychologist in the military? I don't know that I'd choose the /Army/ over, say, the Air Force or something but... It's on my mind and in my prayers. And I took their folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment