Tuesday, March 14, 2006

New Jersey Update: Tuesday

I am pretty beat and feel like sleeping, but I told my lil' sis (who I have no assurance is actually /reading/ this) that I would update pretty much daily, and today was a "big day".

First off: it was Mark Spencer's birthday. He isn't doing anything on the Webs except email during Lent, but if you feel like it you can send him an email wishing him a Happy Jerkday. He probably won't check it until after break though. He's weird like that. So it is also Pi Day, Albert Einstein's Birthday and Charlotte Spencer's Birthday. An auspicious date all around.Secondly: we went into "the City" and walked around today. I had seen some of the stuff already when my family went to New York for a few days (or was it a week?), but it was still nice to see it again. We mostly walked around looking at buildings. We visited a Salvation Army that was purported to be three stories tall, but it was the wrong one (and actually smaller than our Salvation Army in Ace-Deuce). So, no Reez, I didn't buy you a dress... :(

We had lunch at this "authentic" pizza place that Claire had raved about. The pizza was very good, but I am not convinced to spurn either Cottage Inn or Anthony's. The best part was that the cheese actually tasted like mozzarella cheese, rather than the vague "pizza cheese" that most places have. For dinner we simply grabbed McDonald's since we were short on time.We had a nice little break in Central Park. We just found a large rock to lounge on for a while and just rest. It was a moderately warm but very windy day, my favorite type of weather ever! So that was a lot of fun. We then checked out the Guggenheim museum and decided that $15 was a bit steep for admissions.

Last of all, we saw Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. It was pretty aight! Mark and I especially dissected it a bit afterwards and detailed pros and cons of the performance. We all agreed that it was a very good show, but that (at least Mark and I agreed) Les Miserables is a superior work in all categories. The most interesting part was comparing the movie (which we had all already seen) with the stage-performance. Each medium had its own definite strengths. There were certain parts that were done better because of film's advantages, but the last half of the play, and especially the ending, were /much/ better in the play. The one part that possibly disappointed me was some discrepancy in the lyrics. I grew up listening to two CD's: Les Miserables and Phantom. I know Phantom's songs pretty darn well, and there were lyrics that were different in this performance, never for the better in my opinion. It could be that I'm just bad with change. I have accused myself of that in the past.

So that's that, I guess. I am doing very well, and looking forward to sleeping soon. I have been mulling over several issues that may deserve a post once they have finished percolating.

Hesychia,
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment