Sunday, July 16, 2006

Someone has written on this stone, in some angry hand:

So, I saw Jake Krempel today. I know! He's like, from Florida! So here is how it went down: around 2-3PM I get this call from John Kazanjian (this guy from my church that I have worked for in the past, an awesome person) saying, "Hey Luke, I've got this friend of yours from Steubenville at my house. They said not to say who it was, but come on over!" And so I was like, "Alright, sure!" So of course, on the 30 second drive to his (amazing/beautiful/packed with children) house I am racking my brain to try to figure out who from Steubenville would be here and know John. Needless to say, the Lord of Glaxon was not top on my list of expectations. So I enter the house and hear music, go to the living room and find Jake on their big piano, with friends accompanying him. I'm like, "Hey dogg, what are you doing here?" Apparently he and his band know someone from Renewal Ministries (I worked for them for a year, my claim to Charismatic fame) who asked them to play music for a Renewal Ministries Bible Conference (or something) this weekend. So he and his Floridian Friends were up here for that, and got hooked up to the Kazanjian house for brunch or something. And of course things got to "Where do you go to school?" and "Oh! Do you know ?" So they called me over. So, yeah. It was awesome to see Jake again. We are not soul-mates or anything, but we have laid smackdown on each other several times. He is a pretty coo guy, and definitely one of my "children" (i.e. "in my smallgroup"). So that was the big event for today.

Also: I have a new love of my life. They are from Murfreesboro, TN. They go by the name of The Protomen and are, yes, a synth-rock (heavy on the rock) band that has dedicated their considerable talent to making a MegaMan rock opera. Yes, an MegaMan ROCK OPERA. Now, aside from the fact that my formative years were spent drawing MegaMan, playing MegaMan and watching MegaMan's TV show, their music is /amazing/. By far one of the most refreshingly different things I've heard in ages, so I won't even try to describe it. Their vocalist is awesome. I have found one live video of them (on YouTube, I will link it if you wish) and, while it is only a three-song set, it blows my socks off. The singer has /such/ stage presence, wearing a MegaMan helmet, belting it out at the top of his lungs while gesturing in a way that I can only say reminds me of Hilter. It gives me the tinglies. And, as great as a sort of ironic, campy MegaMan rock opera would be, these guys have decided to take it a different direction and produce an entirely serious piece dealing with the role of a Messiah to a people whose reaction to evil is generally apathy rather than courage. I cannot recommend this band enough. I have already ordered their CD through CDBaby and hopefully it will ship on Monday.http://www.protomen.com

Yes, I know I've been promising another contemplative/thoughtful entry for a while now, and it has been stewing. Unfortunately, all you will get tonight is this factual update/music rant. Now, I'ma go to bed.

"HOPE RIDES ALONE"
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment