Monday, July 3, 2006

My body's tight, my soul's excited and I wish that I was gifted...

So, yeah. I finally wrote some more, and updated the webpage. Just to give you all some insight into exactly how much I procrastinate writing: I wrote down the title, last line and basic outline of this poem on June 22nd. Then, finally, last night I lay down on my bed at 3AM and took an hour to actually put it on paper. Now, I do think that things turn out a bit more fulfillingly when they have some time to percolate/ferment, but why do they find the most inconveniant hours to finally come spilling out?

So this one is a proper Spenserian sonnet. It is a companion piece to "Upon the Occasion" (hence the title), which may also be found in the "Life" section of the site. Both of them are inspired by this kid that I barely knew who died from cancer when he was around 14. Coming to terms with early death at different stages in my life, I guess. It sounds more morbid than it is, perhaps.Woohoo, four-day weekend for July 4th. Most of the time I have been kind of bored, actually. But I still have a day and a half left, hopefully fun times will roll. Tomorrow night we are going to see the Capital Steps.

Upon Revisitation (An Afterward, an Elegy) -7/03/06

The mourners all like wedding guests process
The aisle and take their seats to start the rote,
And you are there in black: your finest coat,
Though vestal white would be your right to dress.

But here we have no wisdom to impress
A soul who thus has overleaped the moat
That sep’rate keeps the pilgrim, sheep and goat,
Our spirits yet too weak to dare transgress.

So many mourn, and fear the course you ran.
They count untested mettle as a boon,
Though you, above them all, have braved the tomb.
So young, so young, so young to be a man!
So glorious your wings, to fly so soon!
Magnificent your seed, so young to bloom!


"My body's tight, my soul's excited and I wish I had some spunk..."
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment